Brought to you by Nobnocket Boutique Inn Martha's Vineyard Bed and Breakfast
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 C. butter
- 4-5 firm, flavorful apples, cored & thinly sliced
- 3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 Cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- In a skillet, melt 6 Tb. of the butter over medium heat. Add the apples and saute until they are tender but still hold their shape, about 10 minutes, covering for the last few minutes. When almost done, stir in the brown sugar. Cover, set aside, and keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to blend well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks and buttermilk and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Add the egg whites and gently fold until incorporated.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a 10" skillet, melt the remaining 2 Tb. butter over medium heat. Add the batter and cook until set, 3 to 5 minutes. Place the skillet about 4" from broiler and continue cooking until the top is lightly browned. Test with a wooden skewer; if not dry, place over low heat and cook until done.
- Turn the cake onto a very large serving platter. Surround the cake with the sauteed apples and top with sour cream or yogurt. Cut into wedges to serve.