With each year the season on Martha’s Vineyard slowly stretches further at each end into the Winter months. With this increase in canny people discovering that the off-season is also a beautiful (and so less busy!) time of year to visit the island the question keeps arising from our guests on where to eat on Martha’s Vineyard in Winter?
Vineyard Haven has always been the year-round town on the island with most stores and restaurants remaining open to serve locals and visitors alike. Great restaurants that remain open during the winter in Vineyard Haven are:
- Salvatore’s (closed Tuesday & Wednesdays) – located on Union Street close to the ferry and Main Street, this is the preeminent Italian restaurant on the Martha’s Vineyard. Salvatore brings authentic cooking from his home town of Napoli.
- La Soffitta (closed Sunday & Monday) – located directly on Main Street, chef Jesse Martin (previously of Park Corner in Oak Bluffs) has developed a wonderful American/Italian fusion for his menu.
- Copper Wok (closed Sundays) – located directly on Main Street, this modern restaurant serves up Asian cooking and the island’s best sushi.
- Black Dog Tavern – This iconic tavern on the waterfront provides superb breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Artcliff Diner (hours very) – chef Gina Stanley has given Vineyard Haven the best breakfast spot on the island.
- Little House Café (closed Sundays) – a locals’ favourite with wonderful Mediterranean inspired food
- Beach Road (closed January) – one of the island’s top restaurants with a seafood centric menu
- Golden Bull Brazilian Steakhouse – the place on the island for the best steak fest
Additionally more restaurants in the Down Island towns of Edgartown and Oak Bluffs are staying open through the winter.
In Edgartown you can enjoy culinary delights from the following”
- Détente – Providing take-out on weekends through the winter this is our favorite Edgartown restaurant. The food is superb.
- Atria – Also providing take-out this winter this is a top island restaurant.
- Alchemy (closed January) – located right on Main Street this beautiful restaurant continues to provide some of the best food on the island.
- Rockfish (closed Sunday & Monday) – casual dining with a great food
- Espresso Love – providing great coffee, pastries and sandwiches year round
- The Wharf – casual bar and locals’ favorite.
In Oak Bluffs your options now include:
- Offshore Ale Co – besides providing hands-down the best local beer on the island this location also serves up great food, especially their awesome pizzas
- Sweet Life Café (closed Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday) – so happy to see this top restaurant now staying open through the winter. Providing the best food in Oak Bluffs and some incredible cocktails.
- Lookout Tavern (closed January, February, March) – our go-to bar on the island. Gret menu and great sushi.
- Chowder Company – besides serving the best clam chowder on the island, obviously, this is a great relaxed spot to grab dinner and maybe catch some live music at The Loft upstairs.
- The Ritz (closed January & February) – the spot for live music and late night fun
- Winston’s (closed Sunday) – a wonderful addition to the island’s dining scene and open year-round. Serving Caribbean inspired food and the best jerk and curry dishes on the island
So there you have it. Plenty of options to keep you well fed in between exploring the empty beaches, working up an appetite on a picturesque hike, visiting the Martha’s Vineyard Museum, perusing the Granary Art Gallery or doing some shopping in Vineyard Haven.